Back To Basics
Back To Basics
This workshop is perfect for total beginners or someone who has not used a sewing machine in a while. You will be shown how to thread a machine, wind a bobbin, sew straight, turn corners, when to use different stitches, and how to finish seams. You will make your very own cushion to take home and show off your new skills!
My classes are deliberately small so it allows as much one-on-one tuition as possible. I usually have between 1-4 clients in each session, I feel this gives you a better quality of learning and a relaxed, fun environment. I work from home so my classes are relaxing and you work at your own pace. I provide drinks and you are welcome to bring your slippers so you feel at home.
Level - Absolute Beginner. This workshop is for women and children, I can teach children as young as eight.
Duration - 2 hours
Covid 19 GuidelinesMy home is a business so I abide by the government business guidelines. At the moment my classes will be 1-2-1 so we can keep the two meter rule. I ware a face shield to keep my clients and myself safe and wash my hands before and after every lesson. Sewing machines, tools, door bell, gate and all surfaces that my clients may touch will be disinfected before and after every client. I also ask that all clients bring hand sanitiser and sanitise their hands before they enter my home. If you have any safety questions then please feel free to contact me.
Greatness is not this wonderful, esoteric, elusive, godlike feature that only the special among us will ever taste, it's something that truly exists in all of us.
― Will Smith
What Will You Learn
· Threading your machine up properly
· How to wind the bobbin on both a front-loading and top-loading bobbins
· How to use the presser foot
· How to change the stitch length and when to change it
· How to thread the needle with and without a needle threader
· Essential equipment and tools you will need and how to use them
· Understand and solve common sewing machine issues
· Learn how to prevent unthreading, uneven stitching, jams, knots and snapped needles.
· How to change the needle
· How to clean your sewing machine to keep it in the best condition
HOW TO THREAD YOUR SEWING MACHINE
· How to sew straight lines
· How to sew curves and corners, with tips on handling different fabrics
· How understand and use different seam allowance guides
· How to use the reverse stitch to secure the stitch
· How to fix stitching mistakes
HOW TO MAKE A SIMPLE CUSION
Then it is time to put what you have learnt into practice by making your own cushion. You will lean how to:
· Lay out the pattern on fabric so you save fabric and make sure you lay your pattern correctly
· Understand the grain lines and the selvage edge of your fabric, what they are and how to use them
· Understand basic pattern markings
· How to cut out so you pattern and tips on cutting different fabrics
· How to pin and sew fabric together, turning corners and tips to help you create neater corners
Please do not book your place too close to the date you wish to start. I will need at least three days notice to ensure I have sent you your confirmation email with my address and prepared everything you will need for your class. There is no maximum time to book but the minimum is three days before the class start date.
If you would like to purchase this workshop as a gift then please use the payment button below.
Click on the ' Pay Now' button.
Step 1, Choose 1 session that is available on the calendar and enter it in the dates & times box. Only book the dates & times available.
Step 2, Enter 4-6 projects in the projects box.
Step 3, Click on the 'Pay Now' button.
How do you book?
As my classes are very small and I save each place especially for each individual, I'm unable to reschedule classes so please make sure you are available for the date/times you book. I also don't offer refunds so again, please make sure you are able to attend the classes you have booked. If the government issues another lockdown then I will put my client's classes on hold and we will resume them when I reopen, so you won't lose them.
Terms & Conditions
This is the real secret of life -- to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play.
― Alan W. Watts
Have just attended the beginners workshop this morning and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a beautiful setting, really cosy and there was only myself there so had excellent one to one tutoring from Victoria. The two hours flew by and Victoria kindly tweaked timings to suit so that I could begin the 6 week sewing course next week. Many thanks Victoria, would not hesitate to recommend!
My sister and I did a beginners class as it had been a while since we had used a sewing machine. Victoria was very patient with us made us feel very relaxed. Even though the class was meant to be 2hrs, Victoria didn't rush us and we stayed until we finished our cushions. A lovely choice of fabrics and a really friendly atmosphere. Can't wait to do our next class!
I attended the Back To Basics Workshop today and thought it was fantastic! Victoria is a lovely teacher and with her guidance, as a complete novice I managed to make a cushion cover! Absolutely love it! Thank you again for teaching me a new skill, on to the next project! x